Saturday, December 6, 2008

Christmas Ranting: Holiday Grandiosity

Photo credit from Ricardosblog.com


Didn't notice that it was already December until Advent season became the topic last Sunday in Church. And we already know what season's coming when it's already Advent. Yup, it's Christmas.

Truth is, I don't think I'm already in the festive mode for the upcoming holidays. I don't know if it's just that I'm too loaded with school works, or the financial crisis that everybody's worrying about, or even news of terrorist attacks and political problems from faraway lands. Taking a personal look at how I put it proves how certain issues around the globe could really affect even the most average of all the average Joes and Janes.

I think this year's Christmas would be really different. Not that I'm promoting negativity but you could really feel it in the air. I hope this would be a chance for me to set my priorities and mind on what matters more in the upcoming season.

Back then, I've always looked at Christmas as a day where I get tons of gifts and stuffs, a season where stores put on big sales and that time of the year where Santa and Frosty's face is everywhere. It's only now I realize that I've always looked at Christmas in a very superficial kind of way. I didn't know that minus the gifts, the Christmas tree and all the various colorful decorations Christmas will still be the same.

I'm not a party-pooper or anything and definitely not an avant-garde tradition-breaker. I just firmly believe that we don't need material things and plain superficial symbolism to define what this season is all about. And I guess that is what we can apply in our times right now.

Remember that it is all about Christ and Christ's coming alone. Not about lights, and presents, and discounts, and Christmas Special television shows and all things welling up with 'holiday' grandiosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do your active brain cells perceive?