Philippine History of Architecture

Image borrowed here

Never in my almost two decades of learning I swore that I had a liking for History or anything whatsoever that has to do with memorizing dates, regions and provinces or platforms and accomplishments of previous presidents yet here I am quenching my appetite for some pure learning juice of the yesteryears. I guess when you look at your nation’s history from an architectural vantage point everything starts to make sense.

For our fourth History of Architecture subject course, we will be focusing on our very own Philippine History after studying two previous subjects that focused on Western architecture and one that centred on Asian architecture. We will go over the historical eras and architectural styles of the Pre-Spanish Period, the Spanish Period, the American Period and the Post-War Period. I had already done some preliminary readings on the age before the Spanish colonization and was surprised to find out that there have been existing Rajahnate kingdoms and a separate independent state in the very land we stand on.

I never had this bit of insatiable interest in History before so I was quite surprised. Another factor perhaps was Ms. Professor whose intellect was something I find quite attracting. I’ll ace her subject just like I did in her Planning I class last semester. Goodluck on my studies!

Comments

  1. This is really interesting. I want to learn more about the history of architects in the Philippines.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do your active brain cells perceive?

Popular Posts