Friday, April 17, 2009

Antipolo Church Pilgrimage


Above were shots from the grounds of Antipolo Church I took from our last pilgrimage last Good Friday. We've been doing this for years but this was the first time I ever documented one.

I have a growing fondness on churches lately and I saw this opportunity to take a profound look on the structure itself. I particularly noted its cupola which were laden with square metallic plates on its coffers I found to be in strike contrast with its centuries old history dating back during the Spanish Era, the sculptures on top of its pillars which I presume were the Apostles, the ornate shiny chandeliers and colorful stained glasses all suggest that it was a modern structure. And it was only then later I found out in research that the present church really was a modern structure replacing the old one "greatly damaged during the Chinese uprising of 1639 and from the earthquakes of 1645, 1824 and 1863". Come to think of it, I've never really looked at this church architecturally before. Hmmm...

From a Christian perspective, well, I presume our family does pilgrimage out of tradition and not really of faith. Aside from the memories of my childhood where I see myself praying and giving thanks to God as I catch my breath after hours of walking on dusty winding roads loaded with cigarette butts and all sorts of litters, the occasional senakulo in the church grounds where a group of men does a reenactment of Christ's passion, and the bloody sight other several men self-inflicting pain by lashing themselves with improvised whips in belief that their sins will be forgiven in doing so (or so I thought), there wasn’t really a thing I know from this almost ten-year practice we’ve been doing every Good Friday, even anything from the church itself.

I was really intrigued why we and hoards of other people do pilgrimage every year. So I decided to look further into its history and look for answers. What I found about the Church and the City of Antipolo were really insightful and interesting. And I have to say knowing about its centuries-old traditions in addition to the modern teachings of the Church surely brings light and purpose on this annual practice that has become a part of our Holy Week.

For more information, you could check out some of the resources below:

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do your active brain cells perceive?